She Considers a field, and buys it,
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard
Proverbs 31: 16



Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sorry Phil


Sorry Punxsutawney Phil,
I know you seen your shadow in Punxsutawney PA....

But in North Central MD, the Sayler’s very own Puxatauney Webkin did not see his shadow!!

Hear Ye Hear Ye

On Sayler’s Hill this glorious Groundhog Day, February 2nd, 2010

Puxatauney Webkin, Seer of Seers, Prognosticator of all Prognosticators

Awoke to the call of Owner's Jim, Melissa & Tanner, oh and Sammie there dog

And greeted his handler, Tanner Sayler

After casting a joyful eye towards 4 of his faithful followers,

And a bright sky behind our home as we gaze to the front of it.

Showed NO shadow beside me.

So, Spring is on it’s way!!!

Wooooo Hooooo Yelled the Sayler’s as Sammie barked with joy!!

Groundhog Cookies
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg yolk
1 egg, slightly beaten
Currants or raisins
Sift together first seven ingredients.
Set aside. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
Blend in molasses and yolk.
Stir in flour mixture and mix well.
Form into a ball.
Wrap in plastic wrap.
Chill overnight, several nights or freeze.
Place small amounts of dough on a sheet of plastic wrap,
and cover with plastic wrap.
Roll 1/8 inch thick. Cut out cookies with lightly floured cutter.
Place cookies on greased baking sheet.
Brush with slightly beaten egg. Decorate with currants or raisin eyes.
Repeat until all dough is used.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes in a preheated 350-degree oven.
Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet.
Makes 72 or more medium-sized groundhogs.
I got this recipe from http://www.groundhog.org/ .
I have not baked these cookies yet,
mine is still in the refrigerator.
I only have 4 more post to go for the 100 post giveaway,
so don't forget to follow so you know when the giveaway is.
Also check my sidebar today for photos of what I'm giving away.

Happy Groundhog Day & God Bless,
Melissa

5 comments:

Embellish-Vintage Home Embellishments said...

I going with the webkin!!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I have really enjoyed my visit with yours. I will stop back often. Take care!!!

Gretchen said...

Hi- Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. If you'd like just email me which pieces that you liked that already sold. I could design some things similiar, take photos and send you attachments if you'd truly like something.
Thanks again for your interest.
Gretchen
http://mimitoriasdesigns.blogspot.com

Andrea said...

I really liked this post. Very clever and creative. However, I'm gonna have to go with the real Phil. I say, bring on more winter!!!!!!!
Oh, and I can't wait for your giveaways! I really really hope I win one of your lovely prizes. That would be sweet!
Andrea

Sherrie said...

Good Morning. Well it is 26 degrees here in Maine and it feels like a heat wave. Yes, I know that the groundhog saw his shadow, but it does feel like spring is coming. I just wanted to say thank you for following my blog, it is so nice to meet you. I also wanted to leave a comment about an older post of yours but thought it would be better to leave it on this more recent post. Anyway, your first piece of collage art is fabulous. How can you sell it? I really loved how you showed the step by step photos. You did a great job and it inspires me to turn up some creativity on my own. Thank you.

vintagesue said...

groundhog cookies...what a hoot. i'm lucky if i can pour milk into a cereal bowl this weekend. i'm afraid i might not see my own shadow with this weather. ack!! better go...kids are fighting again. help. where is my husband? he always gets away from the big snows. not fair.
you stay warm and i'm jealous about the box lots of stuff.....oh....what a joy.
s